MY PROFILE> FACEBOOK> MYSPACE>

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

I might look like the All American Rejects guy...


Our culture is almost dangersouly celebrity obsessed. (Please, do not point out my hypocracy by reminding me of how many of my posts have mentioned celebrities.) Our national obsession takes many forms: tabloids, news television shows, celebrity endorsments, etc.

One of the most interesting to me, is how often we tell people what celebrity they look like. I have a friend who cut his hair very short and people started telling him he looked like Brad Pitt, so he kept it short. Another friend gets Jude Law. One kid I know looks like Topher Grace.

My whole life, I've never gotten any comparison. Until a few years ago, when the All American Rejects came out, and people told me I looked like the lead singer. That's his pic above. Truth is, I could see how people would think that: black shaggy hair, skinny, angular face, kinda pale... but couldn't that describe a whole host of people?

I pretend to resent it, but deep down, I'm glad I finally get a celebrity comparison. We're supposed to be a culture of individuals, but when a cute girl compares me to someone on a magazine cover, I have to admit, I'm glad I'm not that unique.

2 comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh my gosh... you kinda do

11:01 PM  
Blogger kathrynthomas said...

when i was five, the girl from poltergeist looked exactly like me.

when i was in junior high, clarissa from "clarissa explains it all" looked like me.

when i was in high school, buffy from "buffy the vampire slayer" looked like me.

all in all, it's not a great thing when people look like you all of the time.

9:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home