MY PROFILE> FACEBOOK> MYSPACE>

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Ahhh, sweet hypocracy

So my friend Michael told me about this, but I didn't really believe until I saw it. In the Baptist Faith & Message (the doctrine for Southern Baptists), they say the strictly believe in the separation of church and state. (http://www.sbc.net/bfm/bfm2000.asp#xvii)

I especially loved the line:

"The church should not resort to the civil power to carry on its work."

So, when it comes to teaching children to pray, the church should not rely on the State (ie, public schools). When it comes to upholding the ten commandments, the church shouldn't use the state (courthouses). How about our holidays? Separation of Church and state would, to me, imply a difference between federal holidays (Fourth of July, Thanksgiving, etc) and religious holidays (Channakuh, Rammadon, Easter, and, say, I don't know.... Christmas).

Yet, for some reason, every Southern Baptist church I've ever attended supports mandated prayer in schools and forcing the ten commandments through courts and allowing the government to shove Christmas down everyone's throats.

Just thought the contrast between words and actions was interesting.

1 comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyed the blog - americana cancun condesa fiesta. A new site has been launched with plenty of bargain holidays to choose from. Bookmark http://www.bargainplace.co.uk not just for bargain holidays but for flights and transport to and from airports plus travel insurance deals and holiday clothes.

8:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home